Director of Development
The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC), the nation’s first and leading policy and advocacy organization dedicated to fighting poverty-related hunger and injustice is looking for a Director of Development to lead its fundraising efforts.
FRAC works to secure solutions through public policies and public-private partnerships to eradicate hunger and undernutrition in the U.S. FRAC plays leadership roles in national research, policy analysis and advocacy, coalition-building, outreach, technical assistance, training, and a growing array of communications to achieve our goals. In partnership with hundreds of national, state, and local nonprofit organizations, public agencies, corporations, and labor organizations, FRAC also actively addresses other poverty-related issues as root causes.
The Director of Development will forge relationships to build FRAC’s visibility and financial resources and serve as an ambassador for the organization, building and deepening engagement with funders and driving broader awareness and support for the organization.
This position reports directly to, and works closely with, FRAC’s president; senior leaders of the organization; and the board of directors. S/he will lead and supervise a team of 3 full-time staff, in addition to interns.
What’s attractive to the right candidate?
• We are financially stable.
• Managing a broad portfolio of responsibility, you will be critical to our organization.
• With a seat at the table to help shape the organization’s future, you will work directly with FRAC’s executives and the board of directors.
• You will be joining an effective, committed, high-performing group of colleagues who are regarded in the community and nationally as thought leaders on hunger.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Create and implement a comprehensive strategic plan for development to secure donors and increase fundraising opportunities.
• Support and partner with the president and board members on all major fundraising initiatives including foundation grants, annual benefit dinner, corporate sponsorships, and individual donors.
• Cultivate and develop grantee relationships with foundations, corporations, individuals, and other entities.
• Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development plan.
• Collaborate closely with the communications director on all fundraising-related and corporate marketing and communications.
• Oversee the documentation of donor information and ensure the processing of appropriate gift acknowledgments.
• Manage FRAC’s portfolio of contributors, including corporate sponsors, foundations, and donors, and steward relationships to ensure donor satisfaction.
• Build off of existing high organizational regard in the foundation and policy communities to diversify revenues including -but not limited to major gifts, planned giving, digital, service and other innovative philanthropic models.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following:
• Minimum of ten years of nonprofit fundraising or related experience.
• Established track record of successful philanthropy and relationships with foundations, corporations, and high-net-worth individuals.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Exceptional and versatile writing skills including the ability to draft compelling fundraising proposals, and make presentations to the board of directors and other external parties.
• Ability to multitask, prioritize, and make decisions.
• Experience in digital marketing, social media campaigns, and online solicitation strategies.
• An ability to clearly and consistently demonstrate respect, professionalism, and sound judgment with all people.
• Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred; 15 or more years of work experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to working for social justice.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Demonstrated leadership capacity at a senior level.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous leave, health, retirement, and other benefits.
Email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (no more than four pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include “Director of Development” in the subject line.) Fax: 202/986-2525 - No phone calls, please.
FRAC hopes to hire for this position in fall 2020.
FRAC strongly encourages individuals who can contribute to the diversity of the organization and with a passion for social justice to apply.
FRAC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. FRAC is firmly committed to a policy against discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious creed, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnic or national origin.
To submit a job posting, please send information to email@example.com
Check this space for job openings in the DC metro area. To submit a job posting, please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org